Friday 30 October 2009

Melbourne

Outside Docklands Stadium after the game. Note all the bikes parked on the footpath...

Melbourne Victory's Hardcore Supporters.

Teams coming out.

Federation Square. What a great use of public space....


Those steel beams? Not two are at the same angle!

Friday 23 October.
Arrived in Melbourne around 3 pm on the 23rd October and got in touch with Ralph & Mary Ann from the Horizons Unlimited Community who had offered to put me up while I waited for Sunday to come around when I'm supposed to get on the ferry to Tassie.
Ralph first offered for me to stay when I contacted him through the HU website to ask for advice on any camp grounds near Port Melbourne and I was a bit uneasy about just dropping in on some stranger's house to take over their couch. However, Ralph also happen to mentioned in his emails to me that He and his wife Mary Ann had ridden two up all through Central and South America as well as Asia and wanted me to come over so we could chat over a vino or two, I could not refuse the invite....
As it turns out, they run a very successful architectural and access consultancy practice and have a number of projects in South America as well as various NGO charities that they're actively involved with and support.
True to his promise, we talked over dinner about their adventures and drank the most beautiful Chilean wine I've ever tasted. These people have obviously been transformed by their travels and have brought home with them a hell of a lot more than just an album full of spectacular landscapes and happy snaps.
They are PASSIONATE about Latin America and their day to day activities, be it work or leisure, reflect this passion that they have for that part of the world.
Saturday morning began with Ralph and I riding to Melbourne's Queen Victoria Markets for breakie and then a ride through the city. Melbourne is such a great motorcycle friendly city that even the weaving through traffic felt safe behind Ralph on his 125cc scooter.
The great thing about Melbourne for motorcyclists is that you're allowed to park your bike on the footpath anywhere in the city, unlike driving a car you can just pull up anywhere and park within a stone's throw of where you want to go.
And this is something that all Melbournians have Ralph to thank for, or at least part of it, as he was the Chairman of the Victorian Motorcycle Council at the time it was advising the Victorian Government on this matters. G'Onya Ralph!!!!
In the evening, it was off to Docklands Stadium for another great passion that I share with these two individuals. The World Game!!! Where the ball is kicked not picked up, hand passed or knocked with a closed fist. Once again I was chasing Ralph in his scooter with Mary Ann as a pillion this time through the traffic of this great sporting city where we parked our bikes "on the footpath" right outside the main entrance to the stadium and watched "El Clasico" between Melbourne Victory & Adelaide United.
For the record, Victory flogged the Reds 3-1 and my hosts had a smile from ear to ear all the way home after the game.
Sunday morning came and I went for a ride that was to take me through the mountains and back to Melbourne which is supposed to be Australia's premier motorcycle touring road but with my GPS playing games with me I didn't want to risk not being back on time to get on the Spirit of Tasmania at 6.30 pm that evening.
So I got back to Ralph & Mary Ann's house to pack the bike and say my good byes to my new found friends and headed to Port Melbourne.
Ralph & Mary Ann were great hosts. I was humble by their generosity and hope that I can return the favour in the not too distant future when they're riding through my patch of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment