Friday 30 October 2009

Left Arthur River to Cradle Mountain

The End of the World Lookout at Arthur River. The logs are carried by the river current and dumped on the surf which in turn deposits them on the shore.
A local told me that today the sea was calm





I don't normally eat this well at home you know!

Wednesday 28 October.
Made a hearty breakfast before leaving at 10 am back towards Wynyard where I'll start heading south towards Cradle Mountain National Park.
But before that, I had to go and see "The End of the World Lookout"
On my way through Smithton I heard that a local guy from South Forest had died when his motorcycle hit a ute head on not far from Stanley the night before. Around the time I would have been sipping JD's in my tent in Arthur River this poor fellow was laying on the road dead. I thought of what his family would be going through, what they'll be telling his kids...

The ride all the way to Cradle Mountain was spectacular and if you're ever in Tassie make sure you visit this World Heritage Listed National Park. I wish I had covered more distance in the first day after arriving in the Island because I would have preferred to spend at least a full day doing some of the amazing half day walks, instead I'll have to settle for a short walk tomorrow morning as I need to cover some ground to be in Hobart by Friday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment