Sunday 1 November 2009

Cradle Mountain to Tarraleah and the West Coast.

Somewhere outside of Queenstown.

Made it to Zeehan.




The Cradle Mountain Lodge.




The Enchanted Forest Walk.

Apparently if you do this walk at night all the animals come out and that is why they call it the Enchanted Forest.



Cradle Mountain Natinal Park.



Had a few locals visiting that night.




Thursday 29 October.
I dropped the bike this morning. Fuuuck!!!
Leaving the car park at the camping ground at Cradle Mountain, there's a kind of roundabout in front of the office and instead of doing the right thing and going around it to get out, I cut across the wrong way to save me probably I'll say about 1.5 seconds... and Ranger's 4WD was coming around the corner, I stopped but because it caught me by surprise I didn't put my foot down on the ground fast enough I guess and the bike just leaned too far to the right.
As it started going I tried to hold it together but the weight of all the gear was too much and all I could do was to try to let it fall as gently as possible. The guy in the 4WD had to get out and help me lift it up again as there was no way I could pick the thing up by self again.
No major damage to the bike, although the same cannot be said for the owner's pride...
After that little incident I went and did the Enchanted Forest Walk at the National Park before leaving for Zeehan, Strahan, Queentown and finally Tarraleah where I would be spending my next night.
By far, today’s ride was the best so far. Best ride of my life come to think of it.
Think of the most winding stretch of road you've ever been on and then imagine doing it over, and over, and over for I don’t know... maybe one or two hours.
And then when you thought it was all over there's that sign again with the winding arrow that says "Next 45 Km". Unbefuckinglibable!!!!
Apparently, this is the section where they run the Tagart Rally and it's no wonder that they've chosen this part of Tasmania to do it on.
I reached Tarraleah, a quiet little community that I think makes a living from the canoeing & trout fishing tourists that visit the town, by 6.30 pm and I was happy with my progress as I can now take my time tomorrow and get to Hobart by the afternoon to meet up with my HU contact there.

No comments:

Post a Comment