Thursday 19 November 2009

My last day in Tasmania.

Good Bye Tassie....

Leaving Devonport for the crossing back to Melbourne.

Really bad view of Launceston!!! but it'll have to do as it's the only photo I took there.

I thought I'll keep going all the way to Perth...

Wednesday 4 November.
After my forced lay off yesterday I woke up this morning feeling a hell of a lot better. The weather had done a 180 degree turn too and I was starting to think the motorcycle gods where firmly on my side.
I left Triabunna around 10.00 am and rode north along the east coast towards Swansea. The lost of a day’s riding yesterday meant I was going to have to cut my trip short and will miss out on riding all the way up to St Helens and then northwest towards Derby, Scottsdale and Launceston.
Although the sun was out and the rain was gone, the temperature had dropped considerably and the wind chill was cutting through my gloves and jacket zipper like butter. I had to stop and for the first time during this trip I pulled out my rain gear to help me shield the wind chill factor.
I've got a pair of "Rainoff" over gloves and they worked a treat. I normally wear a pair of thermal gloves under my riding gloves, but these worked better as the thermal ones tend to make my fingers and hands feel a bit stiff and tight inside the leather ones.
From Swansea, I cut across straight to Launceston where I had lunch and then off for my final leg in Tassie towards Devonport and my last night in this beautiful island before boarding the Spirit tomorrow morning.
I arrived in Devonport around 5 pm and stayed at the Argosy Motor Inn in East Devonport where I had a nice buffet dinner and watched a bit of TV until the usual pack of overweight, loud, fifty something Harley Owners Group turned up and took control of the remote control and I decided to call it a night.
These guys were everywhere in Tassie and apparently there was some Harley's meeting on, so some 2000 Harleys had made the crossing that week. And off course they would look at me on my little Japanese bike and give me no respect what so ever.
But, I got comfort in the fact that these wankers had spent $30,000 or $40,000 on a bike to do the same trip I was doing on an $8,000 Jap bike. And they're so tough that they all have to go out in packs as they're too scare of doing it on their own....

1 comment:

  1. i like to share few thing that Part of Yamaha’s popularity was due to Valentino Rossi riding the Yamaha in the MotoGP for many good seasons with Team Yamaha. Bikes Sydney

    ReplyDelete