Thursday 19 November 2009

Melbourne to Sydney

Saturday 7 November.
After the previous night of a feast of Venezuelan cuisine and the best that South America's greatest wine making countries have to offer at the "El Gran Bar" restaurant, I left Melbourne at around 10.00 am and headed straight up the Hume Hwy again.
Although my original plan was to come back through the Snowy Mountains, Ralph's invitation had put an end to that so I needed to put in a good effort to get home at a descent time on Sunday.
The weather again was perfect..... (Off course? I was riding my bike that day!).....so I made good progress and would have reached Canberra by 6.30 pm. But, being eager to get home now, I said to myself, what if I keep going to Goulbourn rather than taking the exit to Canberra?(Where I was planning to spend the last night)....what the heck? it’s almost an identical distance from here!.....so I kept going knowing that ones in Goulbourn I was only two hours from Sydney, and three and half from the Central Coast.
I could be sleeping in my own bed by 9.30 tonight I said to myself.
Now, I know for a fact, (from previous mishaps) that I can get around 250 Km out of a full tank on this bike. Actually, 247 km to be more precise.... (Shut Up Patch!!!)
My reserve kicked in at about 190 km and the signs said.....Goulbourn 15 km.......Goulbourn 12 km......Next thing, cough, cough!! Noooooooooo!!!!!
I was out of petrol in the middle of the Hume Hwy 10 Km out of Goulbourn at 7.00 pm with only 206 km on my odometer counter....
I can only put it down to the extra weight on the bike???
Anyway after an hour of cursing myself, the road service turned up with 10 ltrs of unleaded for which I had the pleasure of paying $2.00 p/litre.
This meant that I did not reach Sydney until nearly 10.00 pm and by then I was really bugged, so I dropped in my brother's house and spent the night there.

No comments:

Post a Comment